How to Apply
Group tours of our K-5 Elementary School are held from November-January each year, followed by private tours upon request. Applications are due in January, assessment visits are offered in February, and enrollment decisions go out in mid-March. Following our priority admissions season, we continue with rolling admissions, accepting applications and scheduling student visits as space allows.
Here’s how to apply:
- Take a tour. The best way to learn about our wonderful K-5 laboratory school is to come and see it for yourself! We look forward to seeing you at a weekday morning tour of our classrooms or a weekend open house. Space is limited, so reserve your spot today!
- Complete an application. Click the button below to apply online and upload a photo of your child/family. (Hard copy available to download soon.)
- Our non-refundable application fee is $75 ($100 for two siblings applying in the same year; $125 for three or more). If you are applying online, you can pay by credit card, and if you’re mailing in a hard copy, please include a check made out to MCCS with your child’s name in the memo line.
- If you are applying for Financial Aid, please download the SSS application from our website and submit all required forms when you apply for admission.
- Submit a recommendation form. Ask your child’s teacher to complete the applicable recommendation form for the grade your child will be entering. These forms are confidential and should be sent by the teacher directly to our school at the mailing address, email address, or fax number below. Please give your child’s teacher enough time so that the recommendation can reach us by the application deadline. (Note: If your teacher is filling out online recommendation forms for your child, we will accept print outs or email attachments of those forms instead.)
- Submit a report card. If your child is applying to grades 1-5, we ask you submit their most recent report card or progress report from their current school. You can upload a copy if you are applying online, or you can scan or email it to the address below. We do not require report cards for children applying to Kindergarten.
- Bring your child for a visit! When all the above steps have been completed, families will be contacted to arrange for their children to visit the school.Kinder applicants will visit on Saturday, February 8, 2020, for one hour between 9 am and 2 pm, so please reserve that date on your calendar. Applicants for grades 1-5 may be scheduled to visit on a school day.
TK students matriculating up to K and siblings of current MCCS students will visit on either January 8 or January 15, 2020, from 2:30-3:30 pm.
Our priority application deadline for TK students matriculating up to K and siblings of current MCCS students is Friday, December 13, 2019.
Priority deadline for Elementary School applicants is January 17, 2020. Applications submitted by this deadline will be scheduled first for our student visits in February. If you are applying for siblings to both the Elementary and Early Childhood programs, please submit both applications by this deadline.
Secondary application deadline: January 31, 2020. Applications submitted by the end of January will be scheduled next for our student visits in February.
Re-enrollment agreements go out to current MCCS families on January 31 and are due back on February 7.
As a member of the East Bay Independent Schools Association (EBISA), our school adheres to common notification dates and a commitment to supporting families in making educational decisions that are in keeping with their individual children, aspirations, and resources. For Elementary School applications submitted in January, MCCS will mail decision letters on Wednesday, March 18, 2020. Email confirmation will be sent the following day at 12 noon. Signed acceptance of the offer of enrollment must be received with a non-refundable $1,000 deposit by 9:00 am on Thursday, March 26, 2020. This deposit applies toward your child’s tuition and holds their spot for the 2020-21 school year.
Rolling admissions: After the above deadlines, we will continue to accept applications and schedule student visits as space allows. Any subsequent openings will be filled from the list of remaining applicants on the basis of maintaining balanced and diverse classroom populations.
Contact our Admissions Director:
Mills College Children’s School
5000 MacArthur Boulevard
Oakland, CA 94613