How to Apply
This year, information sessions for our K-5 Elementary School program will be held online from late October-mid January, followed by private sessions upon request. Applications are due in January, assessments are administered in February, and enrollment decisions go out in mid-March. Learn more about our Elementary School program, Frequently Asked Questions, and Reopening Plan for Fall 2020.
- Attend an information session. The best way to learn about our K-5 program is to join us for a virtual tour. We look forward to seeing you in the Zoom room for discussion and Q&A. Space is limited, so reserve your spot today!
- Complete an application. Click below to apply online and upload a photo of your child/family.
- Our non-refundable application fee is $75 ($100 for two siblings applying in the same year; $125 for three or more), payable by credit or debit card when you submit your online application.
- If you are applying for Financial Aid, please download the SSS application from our website and submit all required forms when you apply for admission.
- Submit a recommendation form. Ask your child’s teacher to complete the applicable recommendation form for the grade your child will be entering. These forms are confidential and should be sent via email or mail by the teacher directly to email@example.com. Please give your child’s teacher enough time so that the recommendation can reach us by the application deadline. (Note: If your teacher is filling out online recommendation forms for your child, we will accept print outs or email attachments of those forms instead.)
- Submit a report card. If your child is applying to grades 1-5, we ask you to submit their most recent report card or progress report from their current school. You can upload a copy if you are applying online, or you can scan or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. We do not require report cards for children applying to Kindergarten.
- Complete a virtual visit for your child. MCCS participates in Shared Kindergarten Applicant Videos through ISSFBA (Independent Schools of the San Francisco Bay Area), in which families are asked to record an assessment with your child at home. You may submit the same video to all the participating ISSFBA schools to which you’re applying. Detailed instructions and video guidelines will be sent via email to all Kindergarten applicants on January 15, 2021; submissions are due January 29, 2021. Applicants for grades 1-5 may be scheduled for a virtual or in-person visit on a school day during the month of February.
Our priority application deadline for MCCS TK students matriculating up to K and siblings of current MCCS students is Friday, December 11, 2020.
Primary deadline for elementary school applicants is January 15, 2021. If you are applying for siblings to both the elementary and early childhood programs, please submit both applications by this deadline. MCCS participates in Shared Kindergarten Applicant Videos through ISSFBA (Independent Schools of the San Francisco Bay Area). Families are asked to record an assessment with your child at home and submit the same video to all the participating ISSFBA schools to which you’re applying. Detailed instructions and video guidelines will be sent via email to all Kindergarten applicants on January 15, 2021; submissions are due January 29, 2021. Applicants for grades 1-5 may be scheduled for a virtual or in-person visit on a school day in the month of February.
Secondary application deadline: January 29, 2021. Kindergarten applications submitted by the end of January will receive instructions to record and submit a virtual assessment within two weeks. Applications received by the end of January for grades 1-5 will be scheduled next for our assessments in February.
Re-enrollment agreements go out to current MCCS families on January 29, 2021, and are due back on February 5, 2021.
As a member of the Independent Schools of the San Francisco Bay Area (ISSFBA), our school adheres to common notification dates and a commitment to supporting families in making educational decisions that are in keeping with their individual children, aspirations, and resources. For Elementary School applications submitted in January, MCCS will email electronic decisions at 12 noon on Thursday, March 18, 2021. Signed acceptance of the offer of enrollment must be received with a non-refundable $1,000 deposit by 9:00 am on Thursday, March 25, 2021. This deposit applies toward your child’s tuition and holds their spot for the 2021-22 school year.
Rolling admissions: Following our priority admissions season, we continue with rolling admissions, accepting applications and scheduling student assessments as space allows. Any openings will be filled from our pool of applicants on the basis of maintaining balanced and diverse classroom populations. Enrollment decisions are generally made within 10 days of your child’s assessment.
Please contact the MCCS Admissions Team:
Jenny Bond, Assistant Head of School
Mills College Children’s School
5000 MacArthur Boulevard
Oakland, CA 94613