Maintaining socio-economic diversity in our student body is one of our top priorities at Mills College Children’s School (MCCS). Compared to other Bay Area independent schools, our annual tuition is lower than most, and our financial aid program helps to make our school accessible to more families by granting awards to those who would not otherwise be able to attend. Still, we recognize that virtually every family makes a considerable financial commitment to be at our school, and our parents, staff, and supporters work diligently each year to raise scholarship funds.
Hot to Apply
In an effort to ensure the broadest possible use for these funds, we use an outside screening service: School and Student Service (SSS) for Financial Aid, an affiliate of the National Association of Independent Schools. This application process, which takes into consideration your family’s income as well as your expenses, is used by most private schools in the Bay Area. Financial aid applications for the 2017–18 school year can be completed online beginning November 2, 2016.
- The How to Apply for Financial Aid flyer provides families with helpful tips for completing the PFS and submitting additional documents.
- The Family Guide to Financial Aid Booklet provides a thorough examination of the types of financial aid, an overview of eligibility, and examples of aid packages. Download Spanish version here.
- Sign up for an online webinar on a variety of financial aid topics.
We give first consideration to applicants who meet our priority deadlines:
- January 13, 2017, for current MCCS families.
- January 20, 2017, for Elementary School applicants, current MCCS families, Mills College faculty/staff/students, and any family with siblings applying to both Elementary and Early Childhood programs
- February 28, 2017, for all other Early Childhood applicants (Infant/Toddler, Preschool, and/or Transitional Kindergarten).
- Applications received after the priority deadlines will be considered if additional resources are available.
Additional Tuition Assistance
We encourage all families to consider applying for financial support from other groups that provide scholarships to students at private schools, such as:
- Child Care Links: Preschool only
- 4Cs of Alameda County: Preschool only
- The Basic Fund: Elementary School only
- The Guardsman: Elementary School only
Contact Bananas Resource Center for more suggestions.
Contact our Admissions Director:
Mills College Children’s School
5000 MacArthur Boulevard
Oakland, CA 94613