Maintaining socio-economic diversity in our student body is one of our top priorities at Mills College Children’s School (MCCS). Compared to other Bay Area independent schools, our annual tuition is lower than most, and our financial aid program helps to make our school accessible to more families by granting awards to those who would not otherwise be able to attend. Still, we recognize that virtually every family makes a considerable financial commitment to be at our school, and our parents, staff, and supporters work diligently each year to raise scholarship funds.
How to Apply
In an effort to ensure the broadest possible use for these funds, we use an outside screening service: School and Student Service (SSS) for Financial Aid, an affiliate of the National Association of Independent Schools. This application process, which takes into consideration your family’s income as well as your expenses, is used by most private schools in the Bay Area.
- Financial aid applications for the 2020-21 school year are now online.
The SSS website offers a variety of resources and tools for families. Easily accessible PDF guides for understanding how to complete the PFS and the financial aid process are available in English and Spanish here:
- How to Apply for Financial Aid Flyer
- PFS Workbook
- Understanding Your Family Report
- Online webinars available for on-demand viewing
We give first consideration to applicants who meet our priority deadlines:
- December 13, 2019, for current MCCS families
- January 17, 2020, for Elementary School applicants and any family with siblings applying to both Elementary and Early Childhood programs
- February 28, 2020, for Early Childhood applicants (Infant/Toddler, Preschool, and/or Transitional Kindergarten)
Applications received after the priority deadlines will be considered if additional resources are available.
Additional Tuition Assistance
We encourage all families to consider applying for financial support from other groups that provide scholarships to students at independent schools, such as:
- Child Care Links: Preschool tuition and elementary after care costs
- 4Cs of Alameda County: Preschool tuition and elementary after care costs
- Davis Street Community Center: Elementary School after care costs
- The Basic Fund: Elementary School tuition
- The Guardsmen: Elementary School tuition
- Contact Bananas Resource Center for more suggestions.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org